Proposed release goal for Squeeze: Switch to dependency based boot sequencing

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Apr 9 13:36:32 UTC 2009

For Lenny, the release team requested email proposing release goals
sent to the debian-release mailing list, and I assume the same is true
for Squeeze. I would like to propose a release goal for Squeeze, based
on the Lenny release goal named "Prepare init.d-Scripts for
dependency-based init systems".  See
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2007/06/msg00164.html> for
that proposal.  That goal was met, and I believe it is time to take
the next step and enable dependency based boot sequencing by default.

Dependency based boot sequencing can be enabled in Lenny today by
running this command as root:

  aptitude install insserv && dpkg-reconfigure insserv

Status and other relevant links regarding this release goal is
available from

Ordering the boot sequence based on complete dependency information
get rid of a few problems with incorrect ordering, make it easier to
handle changes in dependencies for init.d scripts, make it possible to
detect dependency loops and finally make it possible to execute the
boot scripts concurrently for faster boot.  The main advantage is that
it allow us to get a correct boot sequence, and to verify that it stay
correct. :)

If you want to discuss this release goal, please join us on
#pkg-sysvinit on irc.debian.org and the
mailing list.

Happy hacking,
--