Proposed release goal for Squeeze: Switch to dependency based boot sequencing

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Fri Apr 17 14:59:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> For Lenny, the release team requested email proposing release goals
> sent to the debian-release mailing list, and I assume the same is true
> for Squeeze. I would like to propose a release goal for Squeeze, based
> on the Lenny release goal named "Prepare init.d-Scripts for
> dependency-based init systems".  See
> <URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2007/06/msg00164.html> for
> that proposal.  That goal was met, and I believe it is time to take
> the next step and enable dependency based boot sequencing by default.

I second this request.  Note: I am also a member of the initscripts team,
although much less active than Petter.

I have found the dependency-based boot ordering, allied to "startpar" (*NOT*
the "shell" mode), to be more resilient and better behaved (not to mention
MUCH faster, especially at shutdown) than our non-dependency-based ordering
on my limited test set (some server and laptop installs, no bootlogd).

We shouldn't have any problems to bring it to perfection for Squeeze if it
is made a release goal.

  Henrique Holschuh