Proposed release goal for Squeeze: Switch to dependency based boot sequencing

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri Apr 17 18:56:22 UTC 2009

[Henrique de Moraes Holschuh]
> The local modifications have to be done on the initscript headers, which are
> conffiles since the dawn of time.

This is not quite true.  One can override a scripts headers by adding
a file in /etc/insserv/overrides/, and that is how I propose to do
local modifications.

> There is also an override directory that can be used to change the
> dependency headers instead of editing the initscript, but we should
> get rid of any need to ship files in there as part of the release
> goal (local admin can place stuff there as he wishes).

There is actually two override directories,
/usr/share/insserv/overrides/ and /etc/insserv/overrides/.

Note that changes done to the list of enabled runlevels for a given
service is preserved by insserv, while the sequence numbers are
recalculated when the boot sequence is regenerated (typically when
update-rc.d is executed).

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen