Is $syslog a Required-Start or a Should-Start?

Frédéric Brière fbriere at fbriere.net
Tue Aug 4 15:37:05 UTC 2009

Following the insserv "flipping of the switch" last week, I noticed that
several init scripts on my system were lacking a dependency on $syslog.
(The debhelper sample init script is lacking such a dependency, and I
suspect many maintainers copied it w/o too much thought.)

Before filing bug reports, I'd like to know whether $syslog should be a
Required-Start or a Should-Start.  While most init scripts (and the
example on wiki.debian.org) specify the former, some scripts opt for the
latter, which seems to make sense given how packages typically don't
depend on system-log-daemon anyway.  Is there a definitive answer on
this matter?

--
(It is an old Debian tradition to leave at least twice a year ...)
		-- Sven Rudolph