Warnings with insserv

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Aug 6 15:46:31 UTC 2009

[Nelson A. de Oliveira]
> Hi Petter!

Hi.  CC to the initscripts-ng-devel list to let the others involved in
dependency based boot sequencing know about the warnings you see.

> Sometimes when I update some packages, I see these warning messages from
> insserv:
>
> insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 6) of script `pppd-dns' overwrites defaults (empty).
> insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 6) of script `console-screen.sh' overwrites defaults (empty).
> insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 6) of script `cpufrequtils' overwrites defaults (empty).
> insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 6) of script `sysfsutils' overwrites defaults (empty).
> insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 6) of script `hdparm' overwrites defaults (empty).
>
> They seem to be inoffensive.

Any idea for how these messages could rephrased to make them less
offensive?

One idea we have considered is to only report these warnings for the
init.d script being inserted, to avoid too many warnings at the same
time.

> Are these messages a "problem" from insserv or from their respective
> packages, please?

All these messages report of differences in the settings in the LSB
header of the scripts (the default) and the curent setting on disk.
In all these cases, I suspect errors in the packages, failing to
remove runlevel symlinks during upgrades after adjusting the
update-rc.d call and the LSB header.

If you want to get rid of these errors on your local machine, you can
either purge and reinstall these packages (if you do not have any
local configuration to keep), or remove the symlinks in /etc/rc#.d/
for the runlevels not listed in the LSB header in the init.d script.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen