Tested readahead-fedora - some notes

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Aug 13 20:08:31 UTC 2009

[Raphael Geissert]
> Great, thanks. Did you test it on a machine with a separate /usr
> partition?

Nope.  This was a simple test installation with everything on one
partition.

Did not quite understand what kind of NFS test you wanted, but did not
see any difference with an NFS entry in /etc/fstab.

>>Using it made kdm fail to start X with a
>> working keyboard, but I suspect that is another problem.
>
> I don't see how readahead could cause that problem.

I suspect it exposed a race condition because the boot was faster.

> The problem with moving them to /etc is that users should not
> manually modify them. Previous releases of readahead used to store
> the lists in /etc but they later moved them to /var.

The problem with keeping the files in /var/ is that it would make the
package unfit for release, as separate partitions for / and /var is a
supported configuration in Debian.

Should it just disable itself in the early boot if /var/ is on a
separate partition?

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen