Ordering all init.d scripts in entire archive - some notes

Sven Joachim svenjoac at gmx.de
Sun Aug 16 21:03:40 UTC 2009

On 2009-08-16 22:12 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Sven Joachim]
>> At first, this one looked odd to me.  The dictd init script provides
>> dictd, why should it care about dicod?
>>
>> Looking closer, it is the dicod package (conflicting with dictd) that
>> ships a symlink /etc/init.d/dictd -> dicod, and it may be this one that
>> insserv is complaining about.  However, installing dicod in a sid chroot
>> did not show up any problem.
>
> This could be an artifact from how I collected the scripts.  I made a
> directory of symlinks into the files
> /org/lintian.debian.org/laboratory/binary/*/init.d/*, next I used 'tar
> zchf' to make a tarball with all the init.d scripts and moved them to
> my laptop for further analysis.  Any symlink would be converted to a
> real file in the process, and thus skew the results.
>
> Thank you for checking out the report, anyway.  Good to know that this
> issue was not real.

Looking closer, it is. :-(  When you install dictd first and then dicod
(forcing removal of dictd in the process), the /etc/rc*.d/ links for
/etc/init.d/dictd set up by the dictd package remain, leading to an
error:

,----
| Setting up dicod (2.0-4) ...
| insserv: script dicod: service dicod already provided!
| insserv: exiting now!
| dpkg: error processing dicod (--configure):
|  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
`----

I guess a bug report against dicod is in order, but I won't do it today,
since it is rather late in the evening already.

Sven