(draft) The future of the boot system in Debian

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Aug 27 13:36:46 UTC 2009

[Henrique de Moraes Holschuh]
> Looks fine to me, although this 'event based' stuff better not be
> any more complex than "run the initscript and all of its missing
> deps", instead of the insanity that udev is becoming...

I do not know what insanity you see udev is becoming, and thus do not
know if the event based boot stuff is more or less complex than that.

The best candidate at the moment for event based boot seem to be
upstart, and it can trigger events when partitions show up, network
interfaces become available, scripts are done and several other
events.

> The wiki page has some comments from RaphaelGeissert.  He seems
> unable to grasp the idea that LSB requires that /etc/init.d/<script>
> support is required.

Right.  Will try to make the text clearer to explain why this is so.

I also believe a text on how to check, debug and and correct a
dependency based boot sequencing should be written, and pointed to by
this announcement.  Any volunteers?

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen