Summary of runlevel settings in init.d scripts in the Archive

Raphael Geissert geissert at debian.org
Sun Aug 30 19:59:22 UTC 2009

Sven Joachim wrote:

> On 2009-08-30 20:29 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>
>> I did an archive white collecting of runlevel settings, and wanted to
>> share it with you. :)
>>
>> First the start runlevel settings:
>>
>> *     1 # default-start: 2 3 4 5 s
>
> Only a cosmetic problem, or is this really different from "s 2 3 4 5"?

Probably he flagged them as it doesn't make sense to start during s and the
other runlevels?

>> I flagged the ones I suspect are buggy with (*).  Some of them are
>> already reported to the BTS.  A bit surprised so many scripts is
>> lacking stop runleve info, I must admit.
>
> Many of those 112 scripts started in runlevel S (and some of the others)
> may not need to ever be stopped because they do not start a daemon --
> sudo comes to mind as an example.

Agreed

> However, 77 scripts which stop in runlevels 0 and 6 but not in 1 looks
> like a lot of crap.

I can add a lintian check for that.

I also plan to (at least try to) write a check that looks for mismatches
between the update-rc.d settings and the ones specified on the LSB header.
Although I believe insserv's update-rc.d could also warn about that during
runtime.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer