Plans for new bootchart in Debian?

Jörg Sommer joerg at alea.gnuu.de
Mon Aug 31 23:06:21 UTC 2009

Hello Petter,

Petter Reinholdtsen hat am Sun 23. Aug, 23:21 (+0200) geschrieben:
> Hi.  What are your plans for bootchart in Debian?

I've planed an update of the package for a long time, but I'm too busy. I
had a crash of my iBook and trouble to get a connection to the internet.

> Are you aware of the work that has been done in Ubuntu, extending
> bootchart to chart the work being done in the initrd and collecting
> information a bit further after boot to also log the starting of the
> desktop environment?

Yes, I know this. But, IIRC, they did kill and start a new bootchart when
it comes to the switch form the initrd to the root fs. Twelve month ago,
I've commited a suggestion how it can be done better, but neigther Ziga
nor someone else ever gave a comment about it. Maybe, it's better to
package this version and wait for bug reports. ;-)

http://bootchart.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/bootchart/trunk/?view=log

> The RC bug in BTS should probably be adressed too.  Reassigned or
> closed, or something.  It is a complete mystery to me. :)

It should become closed. :) These bugs in the bootchart daemon are really
difficult to debug. The “return: 24: Illegal number:” sounds like a
problem of bootchart, but it should not lock the system nor HAL nor can
the PATH=, DAEMON= and PIDDIR= lines come from bootchart. I have to take
a look at the code, but I doubt there's anything I can do.

Maybe on the upcoming weekend, I have time to take care for bootchart and
find out why svn407-4 stuck in the RFS queue
http://alioth.debian.org/~jo-guest/debian/bootchart_0.10~svn407-4.dsc

Bye, Jörg.
--
- StGB § 328 Absatz 2, Nr. 3: Mit Freiheitsstrafe bis zu
fünf Jahren oder mit Geldstrafe wird bestraft, wer eine