Next optimization with dependency based boot sequencing and concurrent booting

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Mon Jul 6 01:40:31 UTC 2009

On Jul 05, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:

> I expect those scripts depending on udev to declare that dependency
> explicitly.  The scripts I talk about for rcS.d are the few that could
Do you really know about everything which uses e.g. /dev/zero?

> run concurrently before udev, like hostname.sh, procps and
> readahead. :)
Definitely not procps, since I may want to set keys for some device like
a network card which does not exist until udev has finished.

> I doubt it will have any significant effect on the boot time,
> thought. :)
Me too, this is why I see no reason to make the boot process potentially
very fragile.

--
ciao,
Marco