New upstream sysvinit tarball version 2.87dsf created

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Tue Jul 14 11:03:31 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > > I noticed a strange case with killall, it seems to cause the Upstart
> > > rc.conf job to get SIGSTOP/SIGCONT repeatedly?
> >
> > killall5 signals all processes with SIGSTOP before deciding what to
> > kill, to avoid new processes popping up while killall5 is running.
> >
> Interesting ... Upstart will send SIGCONT to any supervised process that
> raises SIGSTOP, so this is likely working against you here.

I'd get pretty mad if something kept sending SIGCONT to stuff I stopped for
debugging, etc.

> I'm not entirely sure why I send SIGCONT tbh.

Unless you use SIGSTOP yourself in upstart, or you're trying to work around
some weird userspace util (I've seen one, once, that used SIGSTOP/CONT to
throttle down CPU usage) -- in which case it should be an optional feature
IMHO -- I'd advice you to not send SIGCONT.

  Henrique Holschuh