Porting upstart to kfreebsd

Michael Biebl biebl at debian.org
Thu Jul 23 00:20:46 UTC 2009

Hi kfreebsd porters,

I've just uploaded upstart 0.6.2-1 to the archive. The first major new release
in Debian since almost two years.

During the bootpermance sprint in London, we discussed the possibility of making
upstart our default /sbin/init for Debian.

One of the prerequisites we identified, was to maintain proper support for kfreebsd.
An idea was, to provide a small helper utility for sysvinit, that allows to
execute native upstart jobs, even when running under sysvinit. We will implement
such a tool, which we called upstart-job, most likely anyway, but it can't
provide the full feature set that upstart provides.
So ideally we want to see upstart ported to kfreebsd.

The upstream sources are keept at [2], my Debian packaging is at [3].

Scott assured to support this by merging any necessary patches if it's cleanly
possible. Otherwise the port should best be maintained in a separate branch,
where it can easily be merged and synced with master.

If you are interested, please help us to get this done.
If you have (technical) questions, please ask.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/BootPerformance/DebianUbuntuSprint
[2] https://code.launchpad.net/upstart