Changes to policy to move it to dependency based boot sequencing

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Tue Jul 28 14:27:51 UTC 2009

As far as I can see, only this part of section "9.3.3.1 Managing the
links" need to change when we are now using dependency based boot
sequencing
(<URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html>):

  To get the default behavior for your package, put in your postinst script

    update-rc.d package defaults

  and in your postrm
    if [ "$1" = purge ]; then
      update-rc.d package remove
    fi

  . Note that if your package changes runlevels or priority, you may
  have to remove and recreate the links, since otherwise the old links
  may persist. Refer to the documentation of update-rc.d.

  This will use a default sequence number of 20. If it does not matter
  when or in which order the init.d script is run, use this
  default. If it does, then you should talk to the maintainer of the
  sysvinit package or post to debian-devel, and they will help you
  choose a number.

  For more information about using update-rc.d, please consult its man
  page update-rc.d(8).

The default sequence number is now selected automatically using
dependency information, so the number 20 is not longer correct.  I'm
not quite sure what to replace it with.  Perhaps something just drop
the two last paragrahs?

The policy refer to the details in the update-rc.d manual page, and
this of course need to change to reflect our new use of dependency
information for ordering.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen