Migrating the insserv enabling stuff from insserv to sysv-rc

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Jul 30 08:29:26 UTC 2009

[Sven Joachim]
> Ugh.  That sounds like either sysv-rc or insserv will have to be
> temporarily removed during the upgrade due to their mutual conflicts,
> which is not a comforting thought in the light of #475478 and #538959.
> Maybe you can just use a Replaces without a Conflicts in sysv-rc and
> depend on insserv (>= 1.12.0-11) ?

Make sense.  Or depend on insserv (>> 1.12.0-10) to use the same
version number in the replace and depend.  I commited the latter.

> You should definitely ensure that insserv can be uninstalled, for
> those who use file-rc.

I'm going to ensure sysv-rc can be uninstalled and by assosiation also
insserv to be uninstalled.  The migration we discuss here is partly to
make sure that can be done.  Using insserv with sysv-rc is not going
to be optional, so this migration to dependency based boot sequencing
will be one-way.

I've implemented a draft of these migration changes in the insserv and
sysvinit svn.  Please check it out at

  svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-sysvinit/sysvinit/trunk
  svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/initscripts-ng/trunk/src/insserv

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen