Migrating the insserv enabling stuff from insserv to sysv-rc

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Jul 30 11:54:54 UTC 2009

[Petter Reinholdtsen]
> If I understand this correctly, the upgrade when insserv is enabled,
> will be done in this sequence, and each ... represent when other
> packages might be configured and a working update-rc.d need to be
> provided.

When using dpkg to install both new versions in a sid chroot, the
ordering was actually different.  I assume the conflict affected that
ordering:

  # dpkg -i sysv-rc_2.87dsf-3_all.deb insserv_1.12.0-11_i386.deb
  (Reading database ... 8230 files and directories currently installed.)
  Preparing to replace sysv-rc 2.87dsf-2 (using sysv-rc_2.87dsf-3_all.deb) ...
  Unpacking replacement sysv-rc ...
  Preparing to replace insserv 1.12.0-10 (using insserv_1.12.0-11_i386.deb) ...
  Unpacking replacement insserv ...
  Setting up insserv (1.12.0-11) ...
  Setting up sysv-rc (2.87dsf-3) ...
  #

If I could be sure no other packages postinst would be called between
insserv is unpacked and configured, we could drop update-rc.d-insserv.
If not, I see no way to avoid keeping it for a long time, until every
user of insserv today have upgraded to the new version of sysv-rc. :/

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen