[Pkg-sysvinit-devel] Broadcast shutdown message on the dbus?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri May 1 17:46:31 UTC 2009

[Otavio Salvador]
>> In
>> <URL:https://init.linpro.no/pipermail/skolelinux.no/bruker/2009-May/008731.html>
>> I am told that Mandriva Linux 2009 Spring using KDE 4.2.2 show a KDE
>> notification box when shutdown is requested.  I've been unable to find
>> out how it work so far (do not have Mandriva myself).  Anyone know if
>> it is a KDE 4 thing or a Mandriva extention?
>
> Yes ... it can be done on the session manager using hal/dbus.

I have now been able to figure out how Mandriva do it.  They use the
kwrited module in KDE, which do not work in Debian Etch and Lenny due
to <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/526461>.  The konsole terminals (and
the kwrited terminal) are not registered in utmp, and thus wall do not
send any messages to these ptys, leading to no notification in KDE.
It is solved in KDE 4.2.

I suspect a dbus based solution might be a better approach.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen