insserv / dependency boot

cg namtok at gmx.net
Wed Oct 7 17:39:19 UTC 2009

Greetings List,

I was asked to forward this mail to the list by Petter. I am currently
'on the road' and cannot at the moment subscribe to the list because
of both bandwidth concerns and connection reliability - so would
request that all responses also be forwarded to me :
  cg <namtok at gmx.net>
Thank you and apologies in advance for the extra hassle.

I am a (sometime) developer and a (sometime) admin ; I work from a
laptop and have had a testing/unstable system for over seven
years. All has been mostly brilliant - until now. Several days ago I
decided to take a chance and allowed sysv-rc to convert to dependency
boot. In general, things seem well (the boot is
*significantly* faster) - but for two issues :

-- booting : when the boot process is finished and X and WDM have been
started I can't type into either any xterm or, from time to time, even
the WDM display manager id & password slot. If I then exit the X
session, log in as root and run WDM manually everything goes well
after that. Obviously there is a timing error. I have generated the
boot graphs (attached below) and HAL seems to be started later than
WDM, which doesn't seem correct. The X log shows that, the input
modules are loaded then, at the end, unloaded with the messages :

(II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Sleep Button
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
(II) config/hal: Adding input device AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
(II) config/hal: Adding input device PS/2 Mouse
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
(II) config/hal: Adding input device HID 0461:4d09
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Power Button
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (8)
(II) UnloadModule: "kbd"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"

as I can correct this glitch by manually restarting WDM this remains
only an irritation for now.

-- shutting down : this one is potentially more serious as my file
system is at risk. When I start the system, the various file systems
frequently show 'recovering journal', indicating that they are not
being cleanly shut down. I can find no listings in the logs for this
and I'm afraid that I simply can't tell anything from the graph
(attached).

I would much appreciate any ideas or suggestions you might be able to
make. Is there some sort of available diagnostic routine for
dependency boot ?  I have searched everywhere for three days now and
cannot find anything but scattered references and bug reports.

Thanks for your attention ; best wishes & kind regards,

Chris

Attached :
  boot.dot
  reboot.dot
  dot.depend.boot
  dot.depend.start
  dot.depend.stop
  default.rcS
  ls.rcS.d.rc2.d

Please let me know if further info is required.