Can insserv and startpar give priority to some scripts to start them earlier?

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Thu Oct 8 12:19:23 UTC 2009

[Stephan Kulow]
> And these scripts have an higher importance for startpar, "early" is
> an hardcoded prefix - and startpar will prefer the subtree reaching
> them.  This works fairly well.

Aha, did not know this.  Sound like a feature to use when we change to
concurrent booting in Debian by default in Debian.  The quality of the
init.d script dependencies are not yet high enough to enable it by
default.  Tested this, and renaming kdm to earlykdm worked like a
charm, but I would like to avoid magic names to enable this
feature. :)

For now, we use static sequence generated by insserv by default, and I
would love insserv to have a similar feature when generating the
sequence.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen