Please help fix the remaining issues with dependency based boot sequencing before Squeeze

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sat Sep 12 19:04:36 UTC 2009

Most of the Debian packages have correct init.d script headers, but a
few have incorrect headers.  We could use some help to track down and
fix the remaining issues, to have everything ready for Squeeze.

I've written a few scripts that operate on all packages in the archive
and check the init.d script headers for consistensy.  As you have seen
from my report to this list, there are some errors left.

To make it easier for everyone to keep up to date with the status of
these problems, I have written a script to publish the results daily
on <URL: http://lintian.debian.org/~pere/ >.  There is also a summary
of the init.d script headers of all the scripts in the archive.

One dependency loop is already detected and reported using this system
(#542370).  I hope we can avoid more.  There are some duplicate
provides left, and some relationship to non-existing provides too.

The reported missing $remote_fs and $local_fs dependenies are not very
accurate, so someone need to go over and check if the scripts in
question are correct or not.

Some documentation on how to solve the issues are documented on
Please let us know if more information should be provided.

Several bugs are already reported and usertagged (linked from the wiki
page).  Please help poke the package maintainers to fix their
packages.  I suspect some of the packages are effectively
unmaintained, and in this case, notify mia at qa about this. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen