Ideas for the upstart migration for /sbin/init in Debian

Michael Biebl biebl at debian.org
Tue Sep 15 21:32:46 UTC 2009

Hi Petter,

thanks for bringing up this topic!

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> We need to come up with a plan on how to replace /sbin/init with
> upstart, ie the first step of the upstart migration.

[..]

> Another idea that was discussed on IRC was to change the sysvinit
> package to become a dummy package depending on something like
> upstart|sysvinit-legacy, and move all files from sysvinit to
> sysvinit-legacy.  For kfreebsd and hurd where upstart do not work, the
> dummy package would depend only on sysvinit-legacy for now.  This
> would hopefully make sure dist-upgrade change existing installations
> to upstart.

I think this is the more promising idea of those two.
Still need to check, if we can avoid the dpkg prompt, about removing an
Essential package. Say we change sysvinit to a dummy, non-essential package in
versionA, upstart still needed to have a Conflicts/Replaces: sysvinit (<<
versionA) I guess.

Another question is, if on Linux we should let the dummy sysvinit depend on
upstart|sysvinit-legacy or *only* upstart. The former somehow implies, that we
still support both.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?