Idea for migrating packages away from static boot sequence numbers

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Fri Sep 18 14:33:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> and let the package depend on newer versions of sysv-rc or some
> virtual dependency provided by newer sysv-rc (say sysv-lsb-depend).
> The update-rc.d call would then fail if dependency based boot
> sequencing is not enabled, and the package in question would fail to
> install before the computer is using dependency based boot sequencing.

I don't like this.  We would have second-class citizenship because of it.

> This way the package maintainer get a choice if they want to keep
> supporting the error prone static boot sequence numbers, or switch
> their package to only work with dependency based boot sequencing.
>
> I do not believe we should implement this right now, but it might be a
> good way forward some time in the future.

I like the idea.  But it has to do the right thing when the package gets
installed in a non-dependency-based system if it is going to be implemented
before dependency-based becomes mandatory.

And yes, I am *all* for dependency-based ordering to be mandatory (note:
this doesn't mean I am for switching away from sysvinit being mandatory, nor
does it have anything to do with parallel boot).

  Henrique Holschuh