Idea for migrating packages away from static boot sequence numbers

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Fri Sep 18 15:09:22 UTC 2009

[Henrique de Moraes Holschuh]
> I like the idea.  But it has to do the right thing when the package
> gets installed in a non-dependency-based system if it is going to be
> implemented before dependency-based becomes mandatory.

Yes, dependency-based boot ordering is going to become mandatory, and
that is the premise for this idea.  In Squeeze it will be possible to
keep the old boot ordering for systems upgraded from Lenny.  We should
drop support for it in Squeeze+1 and make it clear that it is no
longer optional to switch to dependency based boot sequencing.

The alternative is to force all package maintainers to guess on
sequence numbers, and that do not make sense.

> And yes, I am *all* for dependency-based ordering to be mandatory.

Good.  Lets drop support for the legacy boot ordering when Squeeze is
released.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen