Mapping an upstart job to a init.d script (sssd)

Erich Schubert erich.schubert at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 17:45:02 UTC 2010

Hi,
Also have a look at "metainit", which is meant to provide a common
base for writing init scripts that can then be converted to different
init formats.
I'm not sure about the current state of the project. I believe it was
somewhat starved once there was a significant amount of work on
getting upstart into Debian as well as all the recent sysvinit work to
get faster startup times.
Back then I contributed some ideas, as I had once investigated various
init systems.

I still like the idea of having a common base for the various init
systems possible. A key thing about Debian has always been choice, and
neither the current state nor the proposed switch to upstrart is
actually about choice.

But on the other hand, I've become rather pessimistic about getting a
sufficent compatbility here, just because the intentional use and
behaviour of init scripts just varies too much. Some init scripts
assume to have console control, some exit only when they are complete,
others exit immediately, while actually being still in startup, ... -
and mind it, MySQL, Apache and these will not really adopt to a Debian
"experiment", but just keep on doing it the way they've been doing it
all the time (MySQL is a good example for a really ugly startup
hack...)

best regards,
Erich Schubert