Status of upstart in Debian?

Gerrit Pape pape at smarden.org
Fri Apr 30 08:58:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 01:11:07PM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 08:13 +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > There is as far as I know, no work being done.  The blocking part is
> > to implement /lib/init/upstart-job, which would allow packages to
> > migrate from init.d scripts to upstart jobs without breaking existing
> > sysvinit based installations.

> Just for the purposes of clarification, my understanding of the missing
> pieces is that:
>
>  - there should be a /lib/init/upstart-job binary
>
>  - for compatibility with systems that retain sysvinit, symlinks to this
>    binary are placed in /etc/init.d with "old init script names"
>
>  - upstart-job is called via these symlinks, or with an upstart job or
>    init script name as the first argument
>
>  - the next argument is a standard "start", "stop", "restart",
>  "reload"
>    or "force-reload" argument

Hi, with the runit package I introduced the sv program in 2005 as lsb
"init script" command line interface, for exactly that purpose.  But I
ran into problems with replacing /etc/init.d/* scripts with a symlink to
/usr/bin/sv, because the /etc/init.d/* scripts are all conffiles, see

 http://bugs.debian.org/511687

For users that want to replace /etc/init.d/* scripts manually on their
systems, I wrote suggestions into /etc/sv/README in the runit-services
package.

Do you have better suggestions, or even a solution for these problems?

Thanks, Gerrit.