Status of upstart in Debian?

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Sun Mar 28 19:46:24 UTC 2010

On Mar 28, Michael Goetze <mgoetze at mgoetze.net> wrote:

> there was a flurry of activity on this list in November about migrating
> to upstart, but things have been very quiet since then. Is anyone
> actually working on this for squeeze? Is anyone planning to work on it
> for squeeze+1?
My plan for post-squeeze, unless somebody will have really compelling
arguments about why this should not be done, is to upload new versions
of udev and module-init-tools with upstart jobs instead of init scripts.
Since these are Linux-only packages I will not need to care about
sysvinit compatibility.
A side effect of this will be switching the Linux ports of Debian to
upstart, and hopefully this will create more interest.

> Personally, I would be more interested in an implementation without all
> the compatibility layers formerly proposed on this list, i.e. provide
> both upstart jobs and init scripts for all daemons etc. in Debian, and
Me too, but this would mean immediately breaking the non-Linux ports.
(Not that I would care.)

--
ciao,
Marco