Should move several scripts from rcS.d/ to runlevels 1-5

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Tue May 18 11:23:51 UTC 2010

On May 18, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:

> The scripts in rcS.d/ are the only ones executed when booting into
> single user mode, and I believe single user mode should allow one to
> get an environment with only local disks mounted and without having to
> wait for the network to come up.  It should also be an environment
Please explain why networking should not be started in single user mode.
What do other distributions and proprietary UNIX systems do?

Anyway, the list is long enough that even if your proposal had some
merit I doubt that it would be worth pursuing before we switch to
upstart, systemd or whatever.

> S21pppd-dns
> S21udev-mtab
I see no reason to delay running these.

> S21procps
This one must be run as soon as possible.

--
ciao,
Marco