[kgb-maintainers] Detecting "shadow" notifications

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Wed Oct 14 07:36:49 UTC 2009

-=| Martín Ferrari, Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 04:00:10PM +0200 |=-
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:11, Damyan Ivanov <dmn at debian.org> wrote:
>
> > This has happened once and it is confusing/annoying, so here's
> > a proposal for avoiding "shadow" notifications.
>
> > My idea is that servers track notifications as they see them on IRC.
> > For example the last 10 notifications or the notifications from the
> > last minute (or both: last minute, but no more than 10).
>

> >  1) there is still chance for doubles, becayse IRC is asynchronous.
>
> I think you can ignore this situation...

Yeah, unless it proves to be a problem in practice, in which case
we'll see.

> >  2) "revision"+repo-id is something that identifies the commit
>
> How about generating the message and a hash of it (say the first 100
> chars in the first line) , and then just looking if that hash has been
> seen on the channel lately?

Instead of only the revision number? Excellent idea! So the regular
commit will be logged as "him r3caed2 rename Foo to Bar" and the
tagging as "him r3caed2 tags tag 2.0-beta created" (with some colors)
and will be distinguished.

> >  3) The harderst (for me) part: keeping track. POE is such a worm
> > box
> >    that I am not sure where the array/hash/whatever with last
> >    notifications shall be kept and how to access that both from the
> >    IRC part and the part that handles SOAP requests. Hm, perhaps it
> >    only needs to be kept in the IRC part, but still needs to be
> >    accessed by the sub that "listens" in the IRC channell and the one
> >    that talks to it.
>
> Not that hard, you use $_[HEAP] for global storage, and for recording
> you subscribe to some event (I don't remember the name, but it's
> already provided by the IRC PoCo)

Thanks. Sorry for the dummy question :)

--
dam