[kgb-maintainers] kgb-bot.deb and dropping RateLimit

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Sun Oct 18 12:16:31 UTC 2009

Hi there,

With the kind help of Tincho, the "shadow" notifications problem shall
be fixed in trunk. In the process, I have acquired some POE-foo, which
may result in more drastic changes in the KGB bot in the future :))

Here's my next idea that needs some support.

Next thing I am targetting is putting the thing in Debian. We shall
not hide it any more. The only serios obstacle for archive inclusion
is the inclusion of Schedule::RateLimiter code into kgb-bot source.

The module is rather small, last release in 2003, so not very
appealing for archive upload. There is an alternative,
Algorithm::TokenBucket, from February 2008, which is also just
a couple of tens of lines of code.

OTOH, RateLimiter docs mention that POE has a more heavy-weight
solution to the rate limitting problem, so I took a look. It seems
PoCo::IRC has a throttling mechanism that doesn't allow it to flood
IRC networks. It is enabled by default and not configurable. It is in
the sl_delayed sub and sets a limit of about 120 chars/second minus
2 seconds per message.

So I was wondering if we shall drop RateLimiter usage and return "I'm
overloaded" SOAP error if the sending queue of the PoCo::IRC, whose
size is available in the send_queue method, grows beyound (say) 15
messages. Does this seem right to you?

--
dam