[kgb-maintainers] kgb-bot.deb and dropping RateLimit

gregor herrmann gregoa at debian.org
Sun Oct 18 17:56:10 UTC 2009

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:39:45 +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:

> > Please note that there is a kgb package in Debian ("Archiver for .kgb
> > files"), so we should probably use a more specific name for our tool.
> debian/control has 'kgb-bot' for both the source and binary package so
> technically we're OK.

Ah, right, I remembered the packages are named differently but didn't
look up the exact names.

> KGB came rather natural after CIA and FBI, and
> I am kind of attached to the name :) Also, it offers some non-US
> flavour I like (contrary to "DHS" for example). Additional points to
> consider before name change: KGB has gained some popularity in
> pkg-perl. Changing the Alioth project name is not feasible, I think.

/ne nods

> (You'd notice the "like", "attached" and similar. They clearly state
> emotional arguments which are a matter of taste and therefore subject
> of discussion)

Oh, I emotionally agree :)

> OTOH, the main reason for this limit (after we have a guarantee not to
> overload IRC) is to avoid pending notifications to exhaust the
> available memory. So I guess 150 is not much more dangerous than 15 in
> this regard. And 15 may be too low in case of temporary IRC lag or the
> like.

So we need to play with the value ...

> Finally, the option will be configurable so the default will not be
> set in stone. (Which doesn't mean a sensible default is not to be
> provided :))

... which should be easy if it's configurable :)

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x00F3CFE4, 0x8649AA06