[libhid-discuss] Broken pipe error in hid_prepare_hid_descriptor

Charles Lepple clepple at ghz.cc
Fri Nov 3 15:03:58 CET 2006

You may have to check through the Linux kernel source to see exactly
what kinds of errors trigger EPIPE.

>         Report Descriptors:
>           ** UNAVAILABLE **

Are you running lsusb as root, or with write permissions to the /proc/
bus/usb/ or /dev/bus/usb/ device node?

> I have blacklisted the HID device from the kernel driver and then
> run test_libhid. When hid_force_open calls
> hid_prepare_hid_descriptor, the usb_control_msg call in
> hid_prepare_hid_descriptor returns a broken pipe error an extract
> from the output when test_libhid is run is as follows:

You seem to be on the right track for debugging this, but if lsusb
can't read the descriptors, you may have a problem with the USB
device firmware or its interactions with the Linux USB kernel drivers.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at ghz.cc