[libhid-discuss] USB - HID query

Anmol Ranka Anmol_Ranka at mindtree.com
Wed Apr 18 06:00:12 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I am working on Fedora Core 5 with Linux kernel version 2.6.15-1. I am new to
Linux development.

I have a USB -HID compound as well as composite device.

It is compound device because, it consists of two different devices embedded
within a single device through a hub.

It is a composite device because within the same device, there are two
functionalities i.e they same device belongs to audio as well as HID class.

I am interested in performing Input and Output operations on the HID device.
The HID device is generic vendor specific.

While I was searching on the internet for the same, I came to know about
'LIBHID'-- user-space HID access library written in C which provides generic
and flexible way to access and interact with the USB - HID device.

I downloaded the following package 'libhid_0.2.15+20060325-2.1.tar.gz'. Is it
OK to use this package for Fedora Core 5? If yes, when I install this
package, what will be the name of the libhid library that I have to use and
in which location would it be installed?

I also have following query:

1)To perform input and output operation, I need 'HID usage path'. If I am
right the HID Usage path is obtained from the HID Report Descriptor. In order
to know the HID report descriptor I executed the following command provided
by libhid:

lsusb -d VID:PID -vvv.

The partial output of this command is as follows.

HID Device Descriptor:
          bLength                 9
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.11
          bCountryCode            0
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength     172
cannot get report descriptor

Why is the report descriptor not printed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Anmol

DISCLAIMER:
This message (including attachment if any) is confidential and may be privileged. Before opening attachments please check them for viruses and defects. MindTree Consulting Limited (MindTree) will not be responsible for any viruses or defects or any forwarded attachments emanating either from within MindTree or outside. If you have received this message by mistake please notify the sender by return  e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.  Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change and MindTree shall not be liable for any improper, untimely or incomplete transmission.