[libhid-discuss] Announce hidmon and some questions and remarks about libhid

Charles Lepple clepple at ghz.cc
Tue Jan 23 15:16:48 CET 2007

On Jan 23, 2007, at 8:51 AM, Frederik Reiß wrote:

> Charles Lepple schrieb:
>> I really want to rewrite the HID parser, because the only people who
>> understand how it works have less free time than I do (and I don't
>> have much).
> I have (too) much free time at the moment, and if you tell me your
> plan i maybe able to help you, but i don't know much about USB and HID
> Programming.

Well, judging by the code in hidmon, you know enough about the
programming interface needed. If you want, you could take the hid.h
header and add some function prototypes for things that you feel are
missing.

I have some Python code in the libhid source tree that I am using to
prototype a new HID parser, but it's nowhere near the point that I
could start writing C source from it.

Another idea that we kicked around in the pre-0.2.0 days was having
multiple backends - on Linux, you could choose between libusb and the
kernel hiddev interface, and this could even allow porting to Win32.

Then again, libhid came about because the Linux hiddev IOCTL
interfaces did not properly support collections of HID usages, and
that problem has been fixed since the early 2.6 kernels.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at ghz.cc