[libhid-discuss] Installation problems with libhid-0.2.16

Charles Lepple clepple at ghz.cc
Thu May 3 12:48:17 UTC 2007

On May 3, 2007, at 8:13 AM, Anmol Ranka wrote:

> I am working on FC 5 with Linux kerenl 2.6.15.1. I am facing the
> following
> issue while trying to install libhid-0.2.16.

> -------
> ----------------------------------
> configure: error:
>   Could not link test program to Python. Maybe the main Python
> library has
> been
>   installed in some non-standard library path. If so, pass it to
> configure,
>   via the LDFLAGS environment variable.
>   Example: ./configure LDFLAGS="-L/usr/non-standard-path/python/lib"

What options did you pass to the configure script?

> To overcome this issue I installed the 'python-2.5.tgz ' from
> <http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5/> but still the same
> problem
> persists. I am not sure whether it is a development package?

"development package" refers to your distribution's packaging system
(RPM, in your case), not the Python project's own release.

It is most likely called something like python-dev, and should be
available from the same YUM repository where you downloaded Python.

> Is Python Development Package essential? Can we not ignore it while
> installing libhid through some configuration parameters.

Yes, but before you reconfigure it, please gzip the copy of
config.log and email it to me off-list so that I can see how to turn
that error into a warning.

Afterwards, you can reconfigure with "--disable-swig".

--
Charles Lepple