[libhid-discuss] Issue with fedora 6

Peter Stuge stuge-libhid at cdy.org
Thu Sep 20 22:49:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 02:49:21PM -0500, ankita prasad wrote:
> Do I need to build libhid on a machine for it to work on that
> machine. Will it not work if I just copy the libhid.so, libusb.so
> and their corresponding .a files and the executable on to a machine
> and run the executable from there?

That depends on many things, but not libhid.

> After my earlier bug I built the exact thing on fedora 6 and it
> works fine but when I copied the executable and the .so on to
> another machine which is fedora 6, I again get the broken pipe
> error.

So there has to be some difference between the two machines then.

I don't like moving binaries between systems, but I guess it's a
matter of policy. There are certainly ways to make it work fine
technically.

Fedora is just a name and not an API or anything else technical. Much
like Windows is not neccessarily Win32. Maybe Fedora 6 encourages the
user to reconfigure the kernel, it surely is possible even if it
isn't encouraged. Linux is the API. A difference between the two
kernels can cause what you're seeing. Charles mentioned this, and
also that there may be other applications on the non-working system
that are affecting your application.

It's hard for us to know your systems. :\

//Peter