[libhid-discuss] Correct Library?

Adrian Parker adrian.l.parker at gmail.com
Thu May 22 18:39:47 UTC 2008

I'm wondering if libhid is the library for me.  I need to allow the user to
press a button which will be used as a Press to Talk button in a project I'm
working on.  The catch of course is that I don't know which USB device the
user will press the button on (although I'll most likely limit users to
joypads and headsets with buttons).

libhid seems designed around knowing in advance which particular device you
want to access.  I don't see any functions that allow me to iterate through
the list of enumerated HID devices (have I overlooked something?).

I expected to find structures that represent various Report tpes, but I
don't see those either.

Does anyone happen to have example code of monitoring a device category (say
Joystick), where the exact make/model is not known previous to run time?

I see hid_dump_tree mentioned, but that might write to a file by the looks
of the header?

--
Adrian Parker