[libhid-discuss] Correct Library?

Xiaofan Chen xiaofanc at gmail.com
Sat May 24 15:12:36 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 10:52 PM, Charles Lepple <clepple at ghz.cc> wrote:

> Ideally this would work like this:
>
> * application asks libhid for a list of HID devices
> ** libhid asks [ libusb | Windows HID API ] for a list of HID devices

I think this is the ideal way and should be the way forward.
Actually libusb-win32 1.0 will add HID backend and WinUSB
backedn so that it wraps native HID API and WinUSB API
to libusb-win32 API. However it is not working yet and the
svn version has not been updated for quite some time (9 months).
http://libusb-win32.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/libusb-win32/trunk/libusb1/

> Also, there was some discussion on the libusb-win32 list about making
> libhid compile under Windows. I don't have a working Windows
> development environment where I can test this, but I understand that
> there was a bit of global search-and-replace in libhid to get things
> to compile. I haven't had the time to find the minimal set of changes
> necessary, though.

Rob Krakora has a version of libhid for Win32 using libusb-win32.
I think it can only serve as a temporary solution. It is much better
to use native HID API under Windows (or Mac OS X) for libhid.

Xiaofan