[libhid-discuss] MGE, HID Parser and GPL

Charles Lepple clepple at ghz.cc
Tue Aug 25 11:52:08 UTC 2009

On Aug 25, 2009, at 12:06 AM, Tom Isaacson wrote:

> The suggestion then was to replace HID parser with the code from
> lsusb,
> and "ask the guys who wrote that if we can use their code and
> license it
> under the Artistic license". Did anyone contact them about this?

No, that was the last email we got from Frederick Reiß.

Xiaofan brings up a good point, though. If your HID device is just
using the HID protocol as a wrapper for serial-over-USB (that is,
there are only a few reports, and they all need to be read or written
at the same time), then most of the HID parser code is irrelevant
anyway. It was really intended for Power Device Class devices like
UPSes which have a complex hierarchy of usage IDs, where you only need
to fetch a select few usage IDs in your inner loop.