[libhid-discuss] problems reading data

Charles Lepple clepple at ghz.cc
Sun Jan 10 16:41:39 UTC 2010

On Jan 10, 2010, at 10:04 AM, Tim Nicholson wrote:

> Thanks for all your help, I am pretty much there now and I am
> beginning to understand how USB hangs together much better. It
> always amazes me how something that seems so complicated can become
> so much easier with just a pointer in the right direction - Thanks.

Glad to hear it. It's unfortunate that we're stuck with all of the HID
layers of abstraction just to make it easier to talk to USB devices on
older versions of Windows (without a custom driver).

I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but Jan Axelson's "USB
Complete" is a great desk reference, covering everything from high-
level USB APIs down to the electrical signalling. And the USB and HID
Class specifications are not nearly as inaccessible as you might
imagine (the PDFs are easy to search).