[libhid-discuss] Can libhid be used to create a "virtual" Bluetooth device?

Chip Wachob wachobc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:48:11 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 8:14 AM, Xiaofan Chen <xiaofanc at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Chip Wachob <wachobc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Very new to Linux and USB/BT.
> >
> > I have an interest in making a PC running Linux (specifically Ubuntu
> 16.04
> > LTS) appear to be a BT device which other BT-enabled devices can pair
> with.
> > I am most interested in having the PC appear to be a BT-enabled keyboard
> and
> > transmit keypresses on the keyboard to the paired device.
> >
> > The PC has a USB BT dongle which I would use to accomplish this task.
> >
> > Is this something that can be done using libhid?
> >
> > If so, could you point me towards example code?
>
> I am quite sure libhid can not do that.
>
> > If not, is there another library that would be better suited for my task?
>
> No idea. I believe this will be a difficult task. You may want to
> ask in the linux-bluetooth mailing list.
>
> http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html#linux-bluetooth
>
> > Thank you in advance for your time,
>

> --
> Xiaofan

Thank you Xiaofan and Ian.

It was a toss up for me as to which place to start.  I'll go and check with
the folks at Bluetooth and see if they can help.

Ian, I followed that link and some of those references I've already looked
into.  I've been trying to get HIDClient working but there seems to be some
sort of disconnect between the SDP registration for the program and the USB
Bluetooth adapter.  That was partly what lead me to USB for starters.

Hopefully the Bluetooth group doesn't send me back to HID.

Thank you everyone for your replies