Practical additions to kdtree library

Prabhanjan Kambadur pkambadu at indiana.edu
Thu Sep 25 18:55:06 UTC 2008

Dear Authors,

Firstly, let me apologize for the lengthy mail.

We (Indiana University and IBM) have a generic parallel library (PFunc) that
will be open sourced in the near future. Being generic, it allows users to
plug in different components. One such component of our generic library are
the queues used to manage tasks. We have users who want to use KDTrees for
their task queue management. This allows them to execute tasks which are
nearest neighbors of the previous tasks. We have found that your
implementation is very thorough and easy to understand, and as such are
happy to recommend our users to use. However, some users have complained
about the lack of a particular feature.

Your KDTree implementation pegs the dimensionality of the tree at compile
time. While I understand the reasons for doing so (my background is in
generic programming as well), it inhibits from users to dynamically change
the dimensionality. As a simple example of why this might be required,
consider weather modeling. Depending of what needs to be modeled (pressure,
humidity, etc), the dimensionality of the data changes. As you can see, your
current KDTree implementation does not allow for this.

Is there some way of changing this?

Please let me know,

Anju