failed unittest in py-kdtree_test.py

Paul Harris paulharris at computer.org
Sat Dec 5 04:20:06 UTC 2009

2009/12/5 Yaroslav Halchenko <debian at onerussian.com>

> On Sat, 05 Dec 2009, Paul Harris wrote:
>

> >    That might indeed be a problem, but I don't know of any debian
> programs
> >    that have Build-Depends on kdtree... how do I find that out?
> try
> grep-dctrl -sPackage -F Build-Depends libkdtree++-dev
> /var/lib/apt/lists/*_debian_dists_sid_main_source_Sources
> on a Debian system (package dctrl-tools)

I didn't find anything on my system, so thats good I think.

>  >    If you see the messages.  If the user is Grandma and all the messages
> >    go to syslog, then we may go quite some time before someone notices
> >    that the app needs to be changed.
> kdtrees + grandma ? wow ;)

software isn't just written for people who care how computers work...
plenty of users of software are users that will click the X button if an
error message appears, instead of investigating.   so sometimes software
must break before problems become known to those who care about error
messages.

And if we can make the software break at the compile stage (ie before
packaging and shipping), then the end-user need never see an error message
or deprecated warning.