search for a specific number of nodes?

Damon Blanchette damonbla at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 15:24:53 UTC 2010

Hi, my name is Damon Blanchette, and I found libkdtree++ through some google
searches.  I'm a graduate student at WPI in Worcester, Massachusetts,
working towards my master's degree in computer science.  I hope this is the
right place to email!

I'm currently taking an advanced graphics class, and I'm trying to implement
photon mapping in a ray tracer.  Photon mapping works well when used with
kd-trees, hence my looking around for a library that implements them.  What
I need to be able to do is search the kd-tree for a specific number of
nodes.  I can see that libkdtree++ does range searches, which is fine, but
is there a way to give it a point in 3D space and a number of nodes to
return, for example 50, and it just returns the closest 50 nodes to that
point?  If it sent back the distance from the farthest node, that would also
be fantastic.

Is this possible with libkdtree++?  I looked through the source code, and
it's kind of hard to tell.
Thank you,
Damon