RE : git fetch --rebase to have a linear history

Mildred Ki'Lya ml.mildred593 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 09:23:34 UTC 2009

On 09/07/2009 08:17 AM, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
>> The only problem is that it changes the SHA1 of the commits, but if they
>> are local that's not a problem.
>>

> We should look at the git repository to see how they deal with this problem.

The sha1 changings are only a problem if you published the commit and
someone started working on it. Because if you change it, basically you
remove the oldcommit and create a new one. People that started working
on it will have to repair their tree.

But if it's something that stayed on your computer, it is not a problem
to rebase it.

By the way, my 'mildred' branch is constantly rebased these days, but I
don't expect someone to use it, so I don't think it is a problem. And if
someone used it, they could always rebase on the rebased version of my
branch.
>> And it makes history linear.
>>
> is it that important to have a linear history

It makes things clearer, especially when we have many branches merging
together. Having non-essential merges like thig complicates the graph
needlessly.

Then, it makes things more difficult for git bisect (run a bisection to
discover a bug):
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#bisect-merges

>> To do so, instead of running git fetch that automatically do a merge,
>> you can run
>>
>>     git fetch --rebase
>>
>> I think that would be great.
>>
> that's why, it would be great to have someone responsible for the integration of all the patch
> in the official repository.

Why not,

But for very small changes, it would make it slow to commit changes. And
it would require someone to be available constantly for such requests.

While I agree that for some big changes this would be good (provided the
person answers quickly), I don't want to complexify simple cases. And
take Damien for example, I don't think he needs anyone permission to
modify his eclipse plugin.

Mildred

--
Mildred Ki'Lya