[Logcheck-devel] Problem running logcheck: permissions?

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Wed Jun 23 21:13:19 UTC 2004

I'm letting you know about this problem just in case it is a bug.  I
don't think it is, so I didn't want to file a bug.

After installing logcheck and editing the logcheck.conf file, I got the
following error emailed to me:
/usr/sbin/logcheck: line 421: /etc/logcheck/logcheck.conf: Permission
denied
mail: You must specify direct recipients with -s, -c, or -b
(I guess conceivably that's two separate problems).

Here's what I think the problem was, and the solution:

iron:~# ls -l /etc/logcheck/logcheck.conf
-r--r-----    1 root     root         1936 Jun 23 13:36
/etc/logcheck/logcheck.conf
iron:~# chown logcheck:logcheck !$
chown logcheck:logcheck /etc/logcheck/logcheck.conf
iron:~# ls -l /etc/logcheck/logcheck.conf
-r--r-----    1 logcheck logcheck     1936 Jun 23 13:36
/etc/logcheck/logcheck.conf

I think you meant to make the file owned by logcheck, but I screwed it
up because of the following sequence:
Said no to accepting the new logcheck.conf.
My old file was under rcs.
As root, merged in changes from logcheck.conf.dpkg.new and deleted the
latter.

In other words, I think the problem was just from this slightly off-beat
use of version control.  But I thought I'd let you know.

Thanks.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 502-4031
530 Parnassus Avenue (Library) rm 115-4          ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics           fax: (415) 476-9856
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94143-0840                     hm:  (415) 550-1062