[Logcheck-devel] logcheck fails: failed to get lockfile

maximilian attems debian at sternwelten.at
Tue Feb 1 13:36:11 UTC 2005

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005, Gunter Winkler wrote:

> root at ares:~# ls -ld /var/lock/
> drwxr-xr-t  5 root root 4096 Feb  1 10:29 /var/lock/

that seems broken.

> I looked at another host, but there was no logcheck subdir in /var/lock. Maybe
> an earlier version of the logcheck package created this.

i'll look back, can't remember out of mem.
we'll check that, question was directed to other team member. :)

> On a third host, which was installed a few weeks ago (sarge) the lock dir is
> world writable:
>
> root at achilles:~# ls -ld /var/lock/
> drwxrwxrwt  2 root root 1024 2005-02-01 14:02 /var/lock/
>
> Maybe these permission had been changed in the meantime.

no aboves are standard permissions for /var/lock on a debian system.
you might want to correct your other system,
because there may be other "breakage".

/var/lock needs not be tested to be writable.

anyway thanks for your quick feedback.
--
maks