[Logcheck-devel] logcheck on SUSE Linux - Debian-specifics

Eric Evans eevans at sym-link.com
Sat May 13 15:15:27 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 05:08:23PM +0200, Matthias Andree muttered these words:
> While I made my own RPMs to provide all this stuff, it would be
> good to see future logcheck versions that aren't using debian-specific
> programs and constrain themselves to using POSIX utilities, just like the
> older versions did -- even LSB is too narrow a standard. logcheck is useful
> on other systems than Debian, too.

While I agree on the above in principal, it's important to understand
that we are all motivated differently, and most of the folks on this
list are motivated to work on Debian.

That doesn't mean that there would be resistance to making logcheck more
portable, it just means that someone motivated to do so will need to do
the work, (with the obvious caveat that it doesn't create any
regressions, make things unnecessarily complex, etc).

Contributions are always welcome.

Regards,

--
Eric Evans