[Logcheck-devel] Logcheck database updates on stable

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Thu Mar 17 13:46:43 UTC 2016

Hello,

when I upgraded my server to stable I started getting a dozen of
messages a day from logcheck, each as big as something like 200Kb to
300Kb.

I started looking around the internet and I found a lot of ignore rules
written for Debian Stable sitting in the BTS, in the wiki or somewhere
else around the internet:

https://wiki.debian.org/systemd/logcheck
https://gist.github.com/towo/9600375

After adding those ignore rules, the mails I received started to be at
least readable and I noticed ONE actual problem, which I fixed right
away. I would never have noticed it without those extra ignore rules.

Even after installing those ignore rules, I still get about ten messages
a day, mostly with just one false positive line in them. It feels like
playing wack-a-mole.

All of this is turning logcheck from something that gives early warnings
about problems in a system, into a daily nuisance that adds noise to my
inbox.

I do not dare to just write and deploy my own rules, because I would
like to use ignore rules that have at least been peer reviewed.

Would it be possible to have updates of logcheck rules for stable,
either via backports or proposed-updates, so that it can be useful by
default on stable systems?

I'm attaching a tarball with the rules I have collected so far,
commented with source information.

Thank you,

Enrico

--