[Ltrace-devel] multi-thread support for ltrace

Manoj Kora koramanoj at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 13 07:11:46 UTC 2010

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I took source and patch from the below link:

http://repository.maemo.org/pool/fremantle/free/l/ltrace/

I have gone through the patch and i have found the following observations:

* Here the support for multithreaded applications has been given by  controlling the order in which the events are processed.

* The main issue in this approach is that, it is necessary to restore the  original instruction whenever the threads trap on other thread’s  breakpoints. But this is not happening here.

* So workaround is made for is by disabling the library call tracing  using “-L” option.

* A good fix for this situation would require heavy changes to ltrace  process model.

So by disabling the "-L" option they are disabling the display of library calls, which degrades the functionality of ltrace.

So is there any workaround for this patch to overcome these problems and have a permanent solution?

Since it has been mentioned in the patch that, a good fix for this situation would require heavy changes for ltrace process model. So i thought of parallely going through the strace code to get an idea how to handle threads and implement the same for ltrace.

Is this a good idea? Please give your inputs on this.

Thanks & Regards,
Manoj