[Ltrace-devel] ltrace and libelf

Joe Damato ice799 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 18:32:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Petr Machata <pmachata at redhat.com> wrote:
> 01.11.2010 14:58, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like a plan. I've added a patch to my repo that uses the
>> traditional way, if pkg-config fails. Testes on ubuntu with feroa's
>> libelfutils.
>
> Wouldn't something simpler do?  I wonder about the AC_CHECK_LIBRARY magic
> that you have in there, is that necessary?  IMHO replacing the libelf logic
> with following should be enough:
>
> AC_CHECK_HEADERS([elf.h gelf.h],,
>        [AC_MSG_ERROR([*** libelf.h or gelf.h not found on your system])]
> )
> AC_CHECK_LIB([elf], [elf_begin],,
>        [AC_MSG_ERROR([*** libelf not found on your system])]
> )
>
> ... but I don't quite understand autoconf, chances are there are legitimate
> reasons to do it your way.

I don't know anything about autoconf, but once you guys figure out
what you'd like to see in master, ping me and I'll be happy to merge
it to my tree.

Also, if one of you has a second or two to take a look at my autoconf
changes to support libunwind, I'd appreciate it:
http://github.com/ice799/ltrace/commit/14fb133518a1ad91e58852c960370d32ad8f36e7

joe